Heirloom Leather Journal, Veg Tanned Leather Notebook, Composition Cover, Moleskine XL inserts INCLUDED
This is a ready-to-ship, Simpson Leather original design laser engraved on our Natural Tan BIG cover.
The engraving reads:
Could we with ink the ocean fill/
And were the skies of parchment made/
Were every stalk on earth a quill/
And every man a scribe by trade/
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry/
Nor could the scroll contain the whole/
Though stretched from sky to sky...
The Love of God by Frederich M. Lehman
A 100% handmade leather journal cover.
This leather is thick "full grain". It's 9 to 10 oz (3.6 to 4 mm) thick to be exact! Full grain leather is much BETTER than the top grain and genuine or bonded leather. Full grain is the most expensive and durable cut you can buy. It's the only cut that contains unique markings and scars, making it highly sought after. Full grain fibers run more vertical, resulting in superior strength and perhaps will hold up for a 100 years of use if properly maintained.
To understand our finishing process:
- We case the leather to give the journal its shape.
- We carefully punch holes for the binding. Please specify if you would like space for journals larger than 1/4" thickness.
- We trim and burnish the edges by hand, compressing and binding the leather fibers.
- We apply a quality edge finish that gives long lasting protection and a smooth feel.
- We hand sew the strong elastic cord and properly tension it.
- We laser engrave (when applicable)
- We package your journal in a nice cotton drawstring bag and ship it in a right-sized box.
Often times, journal makers won't use thick leather like ours, because it requires these extra steps. But once you get a hold of our thick leather journal that's well formed and finished, you'll never go back to flimsy covers that only last a year or two.
Hand-made in Northwest Ohio, only from material sourced in the USA. We offer add-on accessories and upgrades to our Traveler's Notebooks.
Full Grain Vegetable Tanned Leather
We have a variety of sizes. Check out our menus for the size you are looking for.
Your journal will come packed in a cotton bag which you can use to protect your cover from scratches and pen marks. We recommend conditioning it occasionally with Smith's Leather Balm, found in our Mercantile section.